Tuesday, 22 November 2011

‘Sir, I don’t have a pen’


Party people! It’s blog-time again! I am really sorry that I am not answering your calls every week, but that is just because I am so busy with my course at the moment. There is so much to write and I should read a lot of books as well, but to be fair I can’t be bothered. Luckily, I have amazing colleagues who are covering for me at the moment...

I have been teaching at Greenwich Community College the last few weeks and so far it has been a great experience. It is quite embarrassing, but now I realise how it is to have people like me in the classroom. Students are coming from everywhere; and everyone comes with a different package. There are students who want to be in my class to get a certificate, but others just need to be there.

Last Tuesday a student put his hand up and said: ‘Sir, I don’t have a pen’... and as a real teacher I responded with ‘Do you want to buy one?’. Another time, a student came in 45 minutes late... FOURTY-FIVE MINUTES! The classes are only 1.5 hours most of the time, but because I am such a friendly teacher I let him in. However, I couldn’t resist making a comment, so I asked him if he was struggling to find the room. He answered by saying that he was attending college for the last 3 years and that he had been in that particular room for at least the last academic year. I laughed and said ‘well I am happy that you found the room after 1 year’.

Last week I was solving maths problems with a student and after 15 minutes we finally got to the point that he understood how to subtract decimals. Without realising it I called him a ‘genius’, which might sound sarcastic to many people. However, he knew I meant it, because it is impressive when someone has been struggling with subtraction for years; and now he got it within 15 minutes!

Ah, enough about my placement, because I need to do a lot of preparation for tomorrows classes. I am going to show them a YouTube clip about fractions.... boring?! I don’t think so, check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grpqwi1cTyA ...

Oh and I have finally done it. I promised my friend in New York that I would send her a present, so I bought a can of coke, wrapped it and sent it straight to New York. I paid 10 pounds for sending it, while the can of coke was only 60 pence, but I think it was worth it! She hasn’t received my present yet, but I just hope that she won’t read my blog J

Oh I forgot to tell you, My Dutch friend Nick is coming over. He spontaneously booked a ticket to London. I hope I have a few spare hours; otherwise I need to find someone else to babysit him. It is going to be fun though.... a lot.... a lot... of fun J

To end with a quote: 'Sir I don’t wanna do this worksheet' "well don’t do it then... do you want to go home instead?" 'Can I really?' "Of course you can.... it’s not me who’s going to fail your exam is it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment